Decorate ‘eggs’ with this easy cookie recipe and a colorful candy of your choice
April 1, 2017 - table lamp
Which comes first, a duck or a egg? That’s wholly adult to you.
Have tiny ones assistance adorn a few dozen of these lemon shortbread cookies with sanding sugar, sprinkles, mini chocolate chips and candy.
Then share them with your peeps during Easter cooking — or any entertainment we wish to pacify with these certain signs of spring.
Tip: Send some home with friends in parchment-lined reusable boxes. Paint a lids for a personal touch. Source: Paper Mart Oval Poplar wooden box set, $32 for 18, papermart.com.
Easter chicky cookies
Makes 3 dozen cookies
For a shortbread:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 crater confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pristine vanilla remove
For a lemon icing:
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons uninformed lemon juice
- 1 to 2 drops yellow jelly food coloring
- Yellow excellent sanding sugar, jumbo candy sequins, orange and yellow sprinkles, candy hearts, and mini chocolate chips, for decorating
1. Make a cookies: Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Whisk together flour and salt. In a play of a mixer propitious with a paddle attachment, kick butter until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sugar, and continue to kick until dark and fluffy, spasmodic scraping down a sides of bowl, about 2 mins more. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture, and brew on low speed, scraping sides if necessary, until flour is only incorporated and mix sticks together when squeezed with fingers.
2. Turn out dough, combining into 2 disks; hang any in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, during slightest 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 325 degrees. To emanate an egg shape, splash one finish of a 2 1/2-inch-tall oval cookie cutter. Roll out 1 hoop to a 1/4-inch thickness; stamp out shapes. Re-roll scraps. Repeat with remaining disk.
4. Bake until organisation and golden, 13 to 15 minutes. For agree cookies, daub sheets on opposite median by baking and again afterward. Let cold on hoop racks.
5. Make a icing: Stir together sugarine and lemon juice. Add food coloring. Transfer to a tiny fist bottle. Outline cookies with topping 1/4 in. from edges, afterwards fill in centers.
6. Set adult a candy bar and get artistic with decorating. Let dry; store in an indisputable enclosure adult to 5 days.
For a chicks: Dip an iced cookie in sanding sugar. Dot jumbo candy sequins with icing; overlie to emanate feathers. Use orange sprinkles for feet, a candy heart for a bill and inverted mini chocolate chips for eyes.
For a eggs: Lay orange or yellow sprinkles in a crooked settlement median adult an iced cookie. Sprinkle bottom with sanding sugar.
Do-it-yourself style: all ears
Some magicians lift rabbits out of hats; others conjure them from a linen closet. All we need to master this honeyed place environment is a stiff block napkin, a badge and a hard-boiled egg. Do a tiny sleight of palm and — presto, chango — you’ve churned adult a stylish Easter tabletop that lets guest know they’re some bunny special.
A 20-by-20-inch cooking napkin was used for this origami-inspired idea, though a block lunch napkin works too, so prolonged as it’s stiff and ironed. Use a black paint pen to pull on eyes, a nose and whiskers.
Sources: Sferra Festival napkin in Blush, $58 for 4, sferra.com. Canvas Home Dauville cooking plate, $35, and salad image in Platinum, $25, canvashomestore.com.
1. Fold a napkin into thirds.
2. Fold reduce corners adult to accommodate in center, formulating a paper-airplane shape.
3. Flip over napkin so join faces table. Fold in outdoor edges to accommodate in center.
4. Place an egg on forked tip, tie “ears” above it with badge and snuggle egg into place.
Provisions: good spread!
Salmon rillettes win a party-food triple climax — quick, easy and delicious. And given they can simply be done kosher and are good on matzoh, they’re ideal for a Seder.
Saute 1 crater chopped yellow onion in 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over middle feverishness until golden. Let cold slightly; send to a food processor with 8 ounces (1 1/2 cups) flaked hot-smoked salmon. (Try Ducktrap River of Maine brand, accessible during many grocery stores.) Add 1/4 crater any chopped uninformed dill and mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons uninformed lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest. Pulse until only combined; serve. (Or store in fridge adult to 3 days.)
Instant upgrade: a steer for bruise eyes
Your bedtime-reading slight is about to get a lot brighter. Swap a low list flare for a match of your possess design, with a tradition architecture (this one comes in 6 colors) and as jazzy a cord (choose from 36 hues!) as your boudoir can handle.
Just anchor a energy line to a wall by circuitous it around a flattering square of hardware, afterwards block it in. Voilà! Overhead lighting — no electrician required.
Sources: Color Cord Company Standard plug-in match light in Polished Copper, $25; and Metal Dome Shade in White, $60, colorcord.com. West Elm Burl nightstand, $399, westelm.com. Unison Himmeli Gray Matelasse cover in Queen, $165, and customary sham, $40, unisonhome.com. Anthropologie Streamline hooks in Slate and Bronze, $16 each, anthropologie.com.
Quick fix: Keep out, kitty
Your cat can hear we logic with her — she only chooses not to listen. Save your exhale and try these tricks to remonstrate her that your plants are not transmutable with her spawn box.
Deploy fruit: Cats hatred a smell of citrus. Add a few drops of orange essential oil (such as C.O. Bigelow’s; $9, bigelowchemists.com) to a mist bottle of H2O and spritz it on soil.
Create a barrier: Add a covering of tiny pinecones or pebbles to emanate an inhospitable hardness that fussy felines won’t wish to hold with their off-hand tiny paws.
Clutter control: crate idea
To keep a counterless bathroom’s many profitable genuine estate — a edge of a pedestal penetrate — looking clean, lift your gaze. Here, suction hooks are used to hang a hoop organizer directly onto a wall above. Clip-on name tags keep reserve separated, and a open-grid support ensures that toothbrush handles stay dry and goop-free.
Sources: Lostine Wire Hold Everything in Blue, $42, lostine.com. CB2 Infinity wall mirror, 24 inches, $149, cb2.com.
Address questions to Ask Martha, caring of Letters Department, Martha Stewart Living, 11 W. 42nd St., New York, NY 10036. Or go to www.marthastewart.com/contact-us-form. Please embody your name, residence and daytime phone number.
Distributed by The New York Times Syndicate